DSWD Travel Clearance for Filipino Minors
The information below is taken from the website of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD)
Because of incidences of child abductions, a Filipino minor child, regardless of civil status, is required to secure a travel clearance issued by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) if the child will travel out of the Philippines, either alone or with an adult other than a parent.
MINORS EXEMPTED FROM SECURING A TRAVEL CLEARANCE
The only exemptions to the DSWD travel clearance are minor children who are:
- travelling with either parent
- travelling with the legal guardian
- immigrants to another country and are holding a valid permanent residency card, dependents visa, or other pass issued by another country which proves residency with parents abroad. A minor who holds a permanent residency card of another country, or a valid pass such as dependents visa/pass/identification or permanent resident visa/pass/identification card is no longer required to secure travel clearance from DSWD.
- not a Filipino citizen and are holding a foreign passport
A minor who is a Filipino citizen and living abroad but does not hold either a permanent resident visa or equivalent pass issued by another country is required to secure a travel clearance.
DSWD REQUIREMENTS FOR A TRAVEL CLEARANCE
The application for travel clearance and its documentary requirements are filed at any DSWD Field Office. The application form is available at all DSWD Field Offices and downloadable from DSWD website www.dswd.gov.ph. The documentary requirements vary depending on whether the child is travelling alone or travelling with an adult other than a parent or legal guardian
- For minors travelling alone to a foreign country for the first time
- Duly accomplished DSWD Travel Clearance application form
- Photocopy of either Birth Certificate or passport of the minor
- Written consent of both parents or the solo parent or the legal guardian permitting the minor to travel alone to a foreign country
- Proof of the consenting parent’s relation to the child, in one of the following forms:
- (married parents) a photocopy of the marriage certificate of the minor’s parents
- (legal guardian) a photocopy of the certificate of legal guardianship of the minor,
- (solo parent) a photocopy of the solo parent identification card from the Municipal Social Welfare and Development Office, a Local Social Welfare and Development Office, Tallaq or Faskh certification from the Shariah court or any Muslim Barangay or religious leader
- (if child is illegitimate) a Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO)
- (if parents are deceased) a photocopy of the death certificate
- Two colored passport size photos of the minor taken within the last six (6) months
- The DSWD social worker may require additional documentary requirements during the assessment of the Travel Clearance application to make sure that no child shall be trafficked and that the child’s best interest and welfare is ensured.
- For minors travelling for the first time with a person other than the parents or legal guardian
- Duly accomplished DSWD Travel Clearance application form
- A photocopy of the birth certificate of minor
- A written consent of both parents or the solo parent or the legal guardian permitting the minor to travel to a foreign country with a specific person other than them
- As appropriate, a photocopy of the marriage certificate of the minor’s parents or a certificate of legal guardianship of the minor or in the case of solo parents, a solo parent identification card from the Municipal Social Welfare and Development Office or a certification from the Local Social Welfare and Development Office of being a solo parent or a court decree of separation, annulment or divorce, or Tallaq or Fasakh certification from the Shariah court or any muslim barangay or religious leader or in the case of an illegitimate minor, a certificate of no marriage (CENOMAR) *from the National Statistics Office or in the case of a deceased parent, a photocopy of the death certificate
- Two colored passport photos of the minor taken within the last 6 months.
- Photocopy of the passport of the travelling companion
- For minor illegitimate children travelling abroad with the biological father
A minor illegitimate child who is travelling abroad accompanied by the biological father is required to secure a travel clearance certificate as parental authority is vested only to the mother of the child, per Article 176 of the Family Code of the Philippines.
VALIDITY OF A DSWD TRAVEL CLEARANCE
A DSWD travel clearance is valid for a period of one (1) year from the date of issuance and shall be valid for multiple travels within the validity period, provided the conditions under which the travel clearance was issued have not changed. If a change in condition occurs like a change in travelling companion, a new travel clearance must be obtained.
CHILDREN OF SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES
- Orphaned minors who have no appointed legal guardian
The grandparents (paternal or maternal) who exercise parental authority over an orphaned minor may issue the consent even without guardianship order from the Court. But in cases where both the grandparents are deceased, the relatives or acting guardians of the minor should work for their legal guardianship over the minor.
- Minors whose parents have marital conflict and on hold order
A minor who is the subject of ongoing custody battle between parents will not be issued a travel clearance unless a Court Order is issued to allow the child to travel abroad with either parent or authorized guardian.
A child whose name is included in the Bureau of Immigration’s watchlist of minors travelling abroad will be prevented from leaving the country.
- Illegitimate children
The Family Code of the Philippines vests the mother with the parental authority over an illegitimate child (Article 176).
- If travelling with the mother, a DSWD travel clearance is not required.
- If travelling with a person other than the mother, a DSWD travel clearance is required.
- If travelling with the biological father, a DSWD travel clearance is required. However, if a Court Order has granted parental authority to the father, a DSWD travel clearance is not required.
- If travelling with an adult other than the mother, a DSWD travel clearance is required.
ELECTRONIC OR FAX TRANSMISSION OF PARENTAL CONSENT
A faxed copy is acceptable. Likewise, a computer generated photo of minors and emailed documents are acceptable.
DSWD FIELD OFFICES
|National Capital Region||389 San Rafael Street, corner Legarda St.,Sampaloc, ManilaTel/Fax: (02) 313-1435 loc 210,733-0010 to 14/488-3104|
|Region I||Quezon Avenue, San Fernando, La UnionTel/Fax: (072) 888-2505/888-2184|
|Region II||3 Dana Pagyaya, Regional Government CenterCarig Sur, Tuguegarao City, CagayanTel/Fax: (078) 846-7532/846-7043|
|Region III||Government Center, Maimpis,San Fernando, PampangaTel/Fax: (045) 861-2413 (telefax)|
|Region IV-A (CALABARZON)||Alabang-Zapote Road, Muntinlupa CityTel/Fax: (02) 387-2632 or 850-8380/807-1518|
|Region IV-B (MIMAROPA)||1680 F.T. Benitez corner Gen. Malvar Sts., Malate, ManilaTel/Fax: (02) 336-8106 local 401/336-8106 local 103|
|Region V||Magnolia St. PBN Buraguis, Legaspi CityTel/Fax: (052) 821-7920 or 480-5346/480-5754|
|Region VI||M.H. del Pilar Street, Molo, Iloilo CityTel: (033) 300-0526/ 337-6221|
|Region VII||MJ Cuenco Avenue corner Gen. Maxilom Ave., Cebu CityTel/Fax: (032) 233-8779 or through trunkline no. 412-9908|
|Region VIII||Magsaysay Blvd., Tacloban CityTel/Fax: (053) 321-3090 or 321-1176/ 321-1007|
|Region IX||General Vicente Alvarez St., Zamboanga CityTel/Fax: (062) 991-6030, 991-6056 (trunkline)/993-0652|
|Region X||Masterson Ave., Upper Carmen, Cagayan de Oro CityTel/Fax: (088) 858-88-92/858-89-59|
|Region XI||Suazo St., cor. Magsaysay Ave., Davao CityTel/Fax: (082) 226-28-57/227-8746|
|Region XII||9506-Purok Bumanoag, Brgy. Zone 3, Koronadal CityTel/Fax: (083) 520-0572, (083) 228-3180, (083) 228-8637|
|CARAGA||R. Palma St. Butuan CityTel/Fax: (085) 346-0113, (085) 815-9173|
|Cordillera Administrative Region||40 North Drive, Baguio CityTel/Fax: (074) 444-3209, (074) 444-3262, (074) 442-7917|