Wednesday, October 22, 2014

OEC Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What are the requirements for Balik-Manggagawa Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC)?

  • Accomplished Balik-Manggagawa Information Sheet;
  • Valid Passport (original copy);
  • Valid Employment Pass/ S-Pass Identification Card (original copy);
  • Valid OWWA Membership Official Receipt (original copy);
  • PAG-IBIG Official Receipt or payment contribution of SG$5.50 for the current month;
  • Confirmed Round Trip Air Ticket;
  • For PEP Holders, please present valid employment contract, company ID, and/ or any proof of employment;
  • For Household Service Workers (HSW) holding work permits, please present valid POEA Standard Employment Contract, verified and authenticated by the Philippine Embassy; and
  • Processing Fee of SG$3.00 per OEC.

What is a single Balik-Manggagawa OEC?

  • Single OEC (white color) is valid for a maximum of sixty (60) days from date of issuance.

What is the BM- Multiple Travel Exit Clearance (MTEC)?

  • Starting on 1 July 2013, the MTEC (green color multiple OEC) shall have a validity that is co-terminus with the employment contract but not to exceed a maximum of two years, while still employed with the same employer and returning to the same worksite.

N. B. Validity of OEC will depend on the requirements presented at the time the worker applies, that is: (a) OWWA membership validity; and (b) Work Pass validity.

For an applicant who cannot personally go to the Phil. Embassy, he or she may request another person to apply on his/ her behalf by submitting an authorization letter along with the above requirements. For married couples, the legal spouse can apply for OEC even without authorization letter as long as the original documents/ requirements are presented.

Can multiple OECs still be used if a worker transferred to another employer?

  • No. If a worker applied for multiple OECs and has changed employer, unused OECs can no longer be used. The worker should renew his/ her membership with OWWA, and subsequently apply for new OECs, if needed, under his / her new employer.

Can unused OEC still be used if the worker has renewed his/her passport?

  • Yes, as long as the unused OEC is valid, the worker can still use it provided that the old passport is attached/ presented along with the new passport to the concerned immigration authorities.

Can workers who transferred to a new employer and are holders of  In-Principle Approval (IPA) apply for OEC?

  • No. Workers who transferred to another employer and are holding IPA letter issued by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) cannot apply for OEC until he or she gets the new work pass card, pay OWWA membership fee and Pag-Ibig contribution for the current month.

What are the requirements for Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) membership/ renewal?

  • Accomplished OWWA Membership Form;
  • Valid Passport;
  • Employment Pass/ S-Pass/ Work Permit;
  • Membership Fee of SG$42.00;
  • For PEP Holders, please present valid employment contract, company ID and/ or any proof of employment; and
  • For Household Service Workers (HSW) holding work permits, please present the POEA Standard Employment Contract verified and authenticated by the Philippine Embassy.

What is the validity of OWWA Membership?

  • OWWA membership is on a per contract basis, and valid for a maximum period of two (2) years. OWWA membership insurance/ validity will depend on the work pass presented at the time of application.

If you have any query, please email the Embassy’s Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) at