Citizenship Retention & Re-acquisition
Former Filipinos may re-acquire their Philippine citizenship through Republic Act (RA) No. 9225 or the Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Act. This law, which took effect on 17 September 2003, declares that former natural-born Filipino citizens who acquired foreign citizenship through naturalization are deemed not to have lost their Philippine citizenship under conditions provided in the Act. A former Filipino can re-acquire Philippine citizenship by taking the oath of allegiance to the Republic of the Philippines.
- Duly accomplished application form
- Birth certificate issued by the NSO duly authenticated by DFA. In case the birth certificate is not available, other documentary proof of the applicant’s being a former natural-born Filipino citizen.
- Certificate of Naturalization. Since the Act requires that the “loss of Philippine citizenship by the applicant must be on account of naturalization as a citizen of a foreign country”, the applicant should submit documents showing the fact of his naturalization as a citizen of a foreign country.
- Authenticated marriage certificate, if married
- Authenticated death certificate, if widowed
- Annulment, if the marriage is annulled. The court decision to nullify the marriage must be certified by the proper court and authenticated by DFA.
- Divorce decree, if divorcee. It must be certified by the proper court.
- Three (3) 2 X 2 photos (white background) with the following view: left side view, front view and right side view
- Payment of consular service fee of S$85.00 for taking an Oath of Allegiance for the re-acquisition of Philippine Citizenship
- Order of Approval will be issued by the consular officer of the embassy which shall be the substantive proof that applicant has re-acquired/retained Philippine citizenship
- Oath of Allegiance to be undertaken by the consular officer after the Order of Approval is issued
The processing of the application will take two (2) working days.
If you have a query, please contact us at email@example.com